Poolside summer afternoons are a fun way to spend time with family and friends. As the weather gets warmer, it’s a good idea to review water safety tips to keep you and your loved ones safe this season.
People of any age can be at risk of drowning, but it is a leading cause of death for children ages 1-6. While many people are aware of the potential for drowning at the beach and in pools, it’s also important to remember that children need to be supervised near bathtubs.
Water Safety Tips:
- Always supervise children around water
- Install a fence with a latched gate around your pool or hot tub
- Make sure to gather any items you need before children get into the water; if you need to leave the area, take the children with you
- If you have a pool, pond, creek, hot tub, or other water on your property, consider installing a door alarm to notify you when a door leading to the area is opened unexpectedly
- Learn first aid and CPR skills
- Enroll your child in swimming lessons such as those offered at Versailles State Park, Milan Community Schools, Memorial Pool in Batesville, and the Southeastern Indiana YMCA
- Use well-fitting life jackets
- Swim with another person present
- Do not swim if you have been consuming alcohol
If you or a loved one has suffered from an injury due to a water safety product malfunction, contact the Schuerman Law office today. Schuerman Law has been working with personal injury claims for over 40 years. John Schuerman will compassionately advocate for injured individuals as well as their families while fighting for full compensation of their claims. Schuerman Law offers evening and weekend appointments in addition to home and hospital visits. Schedule a free consultation today by calling 1-800-274-0045.