Toys are a popular gift for children, especially during the holiday season. While the United States has strict toy safety standards, toy injuries can and do happen regularly, so it’s important to know what to look for while shopping.
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), Retail Industry Leaders Association (RILA), Safe Kids Worldwide, and The Toy Association have partnered to educate consumers about toy safety this holiday season. Here are their tips for choosing safe toys:
- Follow safety information on the item’s packaging.
- Do not give a child a toy that is intended for an older child. See the toy package to see recommended ages.
- For children under age three, avoid toys with small parts, which can present a choking hazard.
- If you’re purchasing a bike, scooter, skates, or other active toys, be sure to include safety gear such as helmets with the gift.
- Read online reviews of the toys you purchase, or ask an acquaintance with a child in a similar age group which toys they would most recommend.
If your child has been injured due to a toy defect, contact the Schuerman Law office today. Schuerman Law has been working with personal injury claims for over 40 years. John Schuerman will compassionately advocate for injured individuals as well as their families while fighting for full compensation of their claims. Schuerman Law offers evening and weekend appointments in addition to home and hospital visits. Schedule a free consultation today by calling 1-800-274-0045.