Prevent Blindness has designated August as Children’s Eye Health and Safety Month. Eye injuries are common in children, but they are often preventable.
According to Prevent Blindness, 125,000 eye injuries each year involve common household products. A sports-related eye injury is treated in an emergency room every 13 minutes. Not only that, a whopping 43% of sports-related eye injuries occur in children 14 and younger.
Understanding the dangers that could lead to eye injuries, removing hazards, and watching children closely can eliminate risk of many eye injuries. For example, most sports-related eye injuries can be prevented with protective eyewear.
Misuse of toys/everyday objects, falls, harmful household products, and automobile accidents are other common risks for eye injuries. Here are a few tips to help prevent eye injuries in young children:
- Store household products such as fertilizers, cleaning supplies, and paint in a secure area out of reach of children.
- Pad edges and sharp corners of furniture.
- Add safety locks to cabinets and drawers.
- Do not allow children age 12 and younger to ride in the front seat.
- Store loose items in your vehicle’s trunk or secure them; otherwise they could pose a danger in a crash.
- Read warnings and instructions for new toys.
- Do not allow children to pay with toys that have sharp or rigid points that could cause eye injuries.
- Avoid projectile-firing toys.
- Ensure that your children wear proper protective eyewear when outdoors or playing sports.
Prevent Blindness offers an abundance of information on these and other eye safety subjects. The organization also offers an interactive Eye Spy eye health and safety education series.
If your child has had an eye injury due to a defective product, contact the Schuerman Law office today. Schuerman Law has been working with personal injury claims for over 40 years. John Schuerman will compassionately advocate for injured individuals as well as their families while fighting for full compensation of their claims. Schuerman Law offers evening and weekend appointments in addition to home and hospital visits. Schedule a free consultation today by calling 1-800-274-0045.