Bicycling can be a great way to exercise, commute, or explore. Unfortunately, it can also be quite dangerous. That’s why it’s important to understand the rules of the road for cyclists and to exercise proper safety precautions by wearing a helmet as well as easily visible or reflective clothing.
According to the National Safety Council, 510,905 individuals were treated in emergency rooms in 2014 due to injuries incurred while riding a bicycle. That puts bicycling in second place for overall injuries across age groups, behind basketball at 522,817.
May is National Bike Month, and the weather is perfect for cycling. Here are a few tips to help riders stay safe on the road:
- Follow the same traffic laws as motorists. Stop at stop signs, signal when turning, and ride single file in the same direction as traffic.
- Never assume that drivers can see you. A distracted driver could spell trouble for you and your bike.
- Make sure your bike is well maintained. Check tires and brakes regularly and perform repairs and maintenance as needed.
- Keep an eye out for opening car doors and other potential obstructions.
- Don’t be a distracted driver! Avoid listening to music or talking on the phone while cycling on the road.
Keep these tips and mind and stay safe out there!
If you or a loved one has been injured in a bicycle accident, contact the Schuerman Law office today. Schuerman Law has been working with personal injury claims for over 40 years. John Schuerman will compassionately advocate for injured individuals as well as their families while fighting for full compensation of their claims. Schuerman Law offers evening and weekend appointments in addition to home and hospital visits. Schedule a free consultation today by calling 1-800-274-0045.