Prevent Child Injuries with Battery Safety

file7861239722534According to Safe Kids Worldwide, more than 2,800 children are treated in emergency rooms after swallowing button batteries. That means that one child is visiting the emergency room for swallowing a button battery approximately every three hours in the United States.

These small batteries can be found in everything from key fobs to flameless candles. When kids take these items apart or if the item breaks, the button battery can become a hazard.

Here are a few tips for preventing battery-related child injuries this holiday season and all year:

  • Ensure that any items purchased for young children do not contain a button battery.
  • Keep loose batteries stored away from children.
  • Consider placing duct tape over any opening mechanisms to prevent children from gaining access to the battery.
  • If you think your child has ingested a battery, go to the hospital right away.
  • Keep coin lithium battery-controlled devices out of the sight and reach of children in your home. This could include hearing aids, thermometers, watches, and more.

The National Battery Ingestion Hotline is also a valuable resource if you need advice or treatment information. It can be reached at 202-625-3333.

If you or a loved one has been injured due to a defective product, contact the Schuerman Law office today. Schuerman Law has been working with personal injury claims for over 40 years. John Schuerman will compassionately advocate for injured individuals as well as their families while fighting for full compensation of their claims. Schuerman Law offers evening and weekend appointments in addition to home and hospital visits. Schedule a free consultation today by calling 1-800-274-0045.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>